@JacquieOtag

18.9.14

Film | Blue Is the Warmest Colour

Today I watched 'Blue is the Warmest Colour' or alternatively 'La vie d'Adèle' directed by Abdellatif Kechiche starring Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos.

It was incredibly heart-wrenching, moving and beautiful. I love the way it was shot - as real as it can get. In fact, it was so real, I found myself wondering if the characters were actually real people as opposed to paid actors. 

I enjoy French Films, primarily because there is a culture of cinéma d'auteur - i.e. the film's ability to be seen by an audience (by being made) is as important as the director being able to tell the story without just relying on dialogue. You become an active viewer, watching around the action to see what other messages are being communicated, be it in the music, camera angles or lighting.


The film explores the waxing and waning love of two convicted young women, but also class, race and sexuality. I also loved Kechiche's use of the colour blue in the film - it was everywhere! I screengrabbed my fave bits.

Check out the film on Netflix.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment