@JacquieOtag

28.10.14

Because Sometimes, You Just Need to Say It Out Loud

For the days that seem to drag on longer than the will-they-won't-they storyline between Ross and Rachael, and cause more physical pain than performing a bikini wax on yourself in the dark, music is always there for me to fall back on to cheer up. Recently, whilst my iPod was on shuffle (I had to skip about 156 songs before I found anything decent) I stumbled on what is arguably one of the best rap verses in recent times: Nicki Minaj's rap on Monster. Then I thought, hey why don't I write about my favourite verses/songs by female rappers? So, here I am, writing about it. Then this got me thinking about other rap verses from the fairer sex that get me all riled up and ready to take on the world
  • Now before you screw up your face and press the little 'x' in the corner, wait a sec. The verse initially starts with the generic hip hop boasting of wealth (Pull up in the monster automobile gangster) but then quickly shifts to 'Okay first things first, I'll eat ya brains' which is where I completely lose my shit and all sense of decorum. I'm proud to say I know 95% of the lines to this self-praising, rival-bashing absolute slayage of a verse. In a genre where women find it hard to get the same credits as their male counterparts (literally could write a dissertation on this and still would not be satisfied) it's great to have good ol' Nicki doing it for the girls on a track featuring some on the biggest male artists in music.

  • Next up, the original Queen Bee, self-proclaimed Black Barbie and the epitome of everything grotesquely decadent about 90s/00s rap - Lil Kim. Personally, I'm bored of the reptitive tweets and poorly written memes about her present face - yeah, okay she's had work done WE GET IT - and I'd rather like to dwell on the selactious rapper that I watched on cable whilst growing up. No Matter What They Say is unashamed; boasting of her wealth and notoriety this is definitely one for the girls to get crunk to. She pirouttes in multiple wigs of different colours, literally flashes her cash at the screen admitting 'if I was you, I'd hate me too'. 


  • As for my last on the list, I really really wish her social media manager would, you know, manage her social media. She's gotten herself into bargain bin loads of trouble with some of the biggest names in the game such as ASAP Rocky, Rita Ora, Iggy Azaela, T.I not to mention a very public dispute with her record label. That's right, it's the sugar-sweet Azealia Banks. But before all that YUNG RAPUNXEL shite and the Twitter trolling, Miss Banks was bolshy teen from Brooklyn with a potty mouth, the perfect contrast to her fresh-outta-high-school look. For L8r, Azealia delivers her measured rap from what seems like the most blipster pool party ever. This song has me serving brutal honesty and a 'mi nuh care' attitude, after all, 'if it ain't about a dollar, Imma holla atcha later'.


These are the three I've managed to remember (it's 11.25pm as I write this. I should probably be doing the intelligent thing and be sleeping, but how's that any fun?) but these songs have a very special place in my sub-conscious. If ever you're feeling like you need a self-esteem boost, I can guarantee you that listening to these tracks on a loop will help you just a little bit. Enough for you to want to take on the world in a blue wig and stilettos.

For those reading, who think I'm wrong:


Ta x

No comments:

Post a Comment